Our furry family members add so much to our lives. Big or small, young or old, our pets deserve a round of applause for making the hard days easier. They make us smile, give us purpose, and never expect us to say thanks. We are ever-grateful for the pets in our lives and all of the untold ways that they add to our lives.
Here are our top reasons to be grateful for our pets this Thanksgiving:
8. Our pets encourage us to be active and engage in more physical activity! One study found that 60% of dog owners who took their dogs for regular walks were considered to get regular moderate or vigorous exercise based on federal standards.
7. Interacting with animals has been shown to decrease levels of cortisol (a stress-related hormone) and lower blood pressure.
6. Pets contribute to the overall emotional and social support systems in individuals managing long-term mental health challenges, including providing a sense of security and routine, distracting from distressing symptoms, and providing unconditional acceptance for their owners.
5. Family pets can provide a significant impact on a child’s development and promote social play in children.
4. There is growing evidence that companion animals have a positive influence on quality of life and well-being by promoting relaxation, reducing depression. Pet owners have been found to report higher life satisfaction than non-owners!
3. Pets can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression in those with PTSD.
2. Pets are reported to reduce loneliness and social isolation in both pet owners and non pet owners alike. Most report that human-pet interactions are good for the community and that pets help them meet new people.
1. They provide us with unconditional love.
Every person should be able to benefit from pets in these ways, regardless of their financial circumstances. Thanks to our donors, Mission Animal Hospital is there for families and pets who need us.